- The BIG DAY! Your 2016 individual tax return is due today.
- Due date for 2016 C corporation and trust tax returns.
- Last day to request an automatic extension of time to FILE individual, C corporation and trust tax returns. (Note: extensions are NOT extensions of time to PAY without incurring late-payment penalties and interest.)
- Last day to make 2016 IRA contributions.
- Last day for employers to contribute to a SIMPLE for 2016, unless an extension is filed.
- Last day to establish or contribute to a SEP plan for 2016, unless you file a timely extension.
- Last day to amend 2013 income tax returns, unless an extension was filed on the original due date in April, 2014.
- Due date for first-quarter 2017 federal and state estimated tax payments.
- FinCEN 114 report of foreign bank and financial accounts (FBAR) is due today. This form must be filed online at fincen.gov. Filers will receive an automatic extension to October 15 each year, and therefore specific extension requests are not required.
Why is the deadline April 18, 2017? April 15 (the normal due date) falls on a Saturday in 2017. Meanwhile, the Washington, DC, holiday of Emancipation Day falls on Monday, April 17, this year. Therefore the tax due date falls on the following business day, which is Tuesday, April 18.